Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How can I which camera lens is compatible for my Nikon D70 camera?

How can I which camera lens is compatible for my Nikon D70 camera?

I’m relatively new at photography. I just bought a used DSLR Nikon D70. I was wondering if you can help me in selecting some new lenses for my camera. Are the lenses used for film cameras compatible? How can I tell if a lens I want to buy online would be compatible for my camera? I’m looking into buying some used ones. Thanks so much.

Answer by James W
There’s a very long compatibility chart here:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Some of the ones that work with film cameras will work. Make sure it’s a Nikon lens or a lens with a Nikon F mount.

Ideally, get a lens with an AF, AF-D, AF-I or AF-S designation. These will work perfectly with your camera, and will get you autofocus.

Older AI and AI-S lenses will mount and work, but no autofocus, and the camera will only work in full manual mode.

Series E lenses are same as above.

non-AI lenses will hurt your camera. Don’t get one.

Add your own answer in the comments!

Dripping tap – high-speed flash sync test with Nikon D70
nikon d70

Image by henry…
My DSLR (Nikon D70) is one of the very few DSLRs which can flash sync at very quick shutter speeds. Most cameras go as quick as 1/250s but the D70 can go up to 1/8000s.

Anyway I wanted to test it out, so this is taken at 1/8000, f/7 and ISO 200. If you place a Nikon flash on the camera it artificially limits the sync speed to 1/500s so this is a Nikon flash (Speedlight SB-600) turned into a generic flash by taping over all the contacts apart from the centre one.

Some explanation of flash sync speed and why the D70 can do this trick here and here.

All the grotty stuff on the taps is because we have very hard water in London.

I have a Nikon D70 and its lens 28/135, that is excellent enough, but I guess that it’s not a excellent choice for wide landscapes. What will you recomand me?

Answer by -Nathan Grammatico-
You Should Get This Lens:

The Nikkor 12-24mm Wide Angle lens..
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-12-24mm-Autofocus-Nikkor-Zoom/dp/B000092M1T/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214917029&sr=8-1

But, you didn’t place us a budget, so we don’t know exactly how much you’re willing to spend, that lens is 895$ , which is more expensive than getting another d70. But, if you have the money, you need to get it, that’s the best lens for landscape and wide-angle photography.

But, if you don’t want to spend that much, you can just get this lens: it’s a Sigma 10-20mm lens: it’s really a more wide angle lens the the 12-24mm lens:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-10-20mm-4-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007U00XK/ref=pd_cp_e_1?pf_rd_p=250314001&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000092M1T&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01X3MEG7KF2F11FGPK8W
it’s 498$ , but i reckon lenses deserve the lenience, don’t you?

for more nikkor lenses, look on :
http://amazon.com

Answer by Carmen C
I would get the 14mm F2.8D ED glass it will be about 21mm which is very wide and fantastic for landscapes plus it’s a fill in lens. on the D70 and all functions will be supported. The 18-55 AF-S VR is fantastic for landscapes and is a lot cheaper.

Have fun

Know better? Place your own answer in the comments!
Steamboat high school students share final projects during show
Seventeen students of Steamboat Springs High School's advanced photography class will show their final projects this month at Chocolate Soup Pastry Cafe in downtown Steamboat Springs. The students hung the show Friday morning, and the opening reception was held during First Friday Artwalk.
Read more on The Steamboat Pilot & Today

Here is a small record tutorial showing you how to check for dust on your sensor and clean your sensor using the blower method.


No comments:

Post a Comment