Sunday, May 29, 2011

memory card for digital slr camera - was wondering?

memory card for digital slr camera - was wondering?

I bought a new extreme 3 CF memory card 8 GB from amazon.com, for my Nikon D100 – on one of the reviews someone said they were able to get 1000 raw files on it – that’s what sold me on it.

I got it in the mail, put it in my camera and put my settings on raw format – says 400 something frames available – is that the normal quantity for raw files on 8 GB? I was surprised, was expecting 1000.

Thanks!

Answer by jjcox
Raw files take up 2-6x more space than the typical jpeg. So on an 8gb card if you got 600 pictures in jpg expect to get a fraction of that. The biggest advantage to having that card as it is small now is that the read and write speed is faster than standard cards. That means the info gets on and off the card much quicker.

Answer by Jim M
I’m not sure the D100 has the technological ability to recognize that much memory.

I have one, but I’ve never used a card larger than 2 GB in it.

Besides, unless you already know this … the D100 is EXTREMELY slow when shooting RAW. It takes forever for it to buffer one or two images before you can shoot again.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

pentax lomo
digital slr camera review

Image by philxthomas.com
a photo taken using my new diana fisheye lens, of my new slr film camera.

more info and small lens review here: philxthomas.com/2009/11/diana-fisheye-lens-new-slr/

I dropped my HP digital and can’t fix it for very good price so I figured it might be time to move toward a digital with SLR. I am not a professional photographer but love taking photos of my kids etc. I saw a couple of Kodak cameras and they were a little cheaper but I have seen such good reviews on the Nikon D40x. I am trying to find out if there is anything just as good out there but at a better price point.
Thanks!

Answer by lilac
if you are looking for a Kodak i bought one that i would definitely recommend to you it’s called the Kodak 5 MP Easy Share V570 Dual Lens Digital Camera. it’s available on the Kodak website for about $ 300-$ 400 but you can buy it online from Walmart for about $ 200 hers the link if your interested :
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4722202

Answer by anthony h
The Nikon D40x is 10mp. The comparable Canon is the Canon Digital Rebel XTi, which is also 10mp and about the same price. Between these two, I would buy the one that feels better in your hand, a personal choice.

Going down in price, you’re looking at going from 10mp to 6mp. Your choices here are the Nikon D40 (notice, no X) or the Pentax K100D. Here, I probably would go for the Pentax due to the built-in antishake and the wide availability of older Pentax lenses, including manual focus lenses, which will fit and work. Image quality wise, the Nikon probably has a slight edge, but it’s very subjective, in that you may feel differently about the colors. The Pentax I’ve seen for sale online (try http://www.buydig.com) for about $ 470 new with lens

Beyond that, you’re looking at used cameras. For a good used older, but still good SLR, expect to spend about $ 350 to $ 400. One of my favorites is the Fujifilm S2 Pro. You can also find heavy professional SLRs like the Nikon D1h for around $ 300 and even though it’s 2.74 megapixels, it will still blow the doors off a 7mp point and shoot because the sensor is so much physically larger, plus the camera will probably survive rough handling better.

So there you go: you have your options! Enjoy your camera!

Answer by fhotoace
Probably not. Of all the entry level DSLR’s it is the best value.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Are the Kodak cameras DSLR’s that use Nikon lenses?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=kodak_dcsslrn%2Cnikon_d40x&show=all

You can always buy a good used DSLR on craigslist

Answer by gretsch16pc
I love my Canon XTi and I a Tamron 18-250 f/3.5 Macro zoom with it, later I got a Canon 50mm f/1.4 (for my Portrait work) and the NEW Canon 580EX II Speedlite.

Check your options, reviews and great prices at, www.bhphotovideo.com

Answer by Kirkus
Check out the reviews, the Nikon D40x gives you the best bang for your buck. Awesome pictures with sharpe detail.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Canon Digital Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) + Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens + Canon EF 75-300mm III Lens + Spare LP-E5 Battery + 4GB Card + Gadget Bag

  • Kit includes 10 PRODUCTS; All Brand New Items with all Manufacturer-supplied Accessories + Full USA Warranties
  • The Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital Camera incorporates a 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor
  • Enhanced sensitivity up to ISO 1600; High-ISO Noise Reduction and Auto Image Optimization technology
  • The large, 2.5-inch LCD monitor makes it a pleasure to review images and scroll through menus
  • The Live View feature allows you to frame shots using the LCD screen rather than the viewfinder

Kit includes:;1) Canon Digital Rebel XS;2) Canon 18-55mm Lens;3) Canon 75-300mm Lens;4) Transcend 4GB SDHC Memory Card;5) Precision Design 1000 Deluxe SLR Pro Carrying Case 6) Spare LP-E5 Battery;7) Precision Design USB 2.0 High Speed Secure Digital (SD/SDHC) Card Reader;8) Image Recall Digital Image Recovery Software;9) Precision Design Memory Card Storage Wallet;10) Cameta Microfiber Cleaning Cloth. The Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital Camera incorporates a 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor; enhanced sensi

Price: $ 739.95


No comments:

Post a Comment