Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Q&A: Samsung Camcorder as Webcam?

Q&A: Samsung Camcorder as Webcam?

I have a samsung digital camcorder with an sd card. how do i install this as a webcam and use it with aim? ps i am runnng windows xp

Answer by pureinsomniac
digital camera’s are not the best webcam , as the support and the devices it can be associated are limited by the software or the camera itself , spend ten bucks and invest in a cheap webcam , saving your camera from the dust and the overuse of webcam

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Nokia E90
samsung digital camcorder

Image by airgap

I have Samsung camcorder and I use the USB port to upload the video clips to my iMovie on my Macbook. But all the clips have this strange kind of static. Like the clip is being divided into these straight stripes kind of, horizontally across the clip. It’s the same all the time. Not like a television static. It’s different.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Digital+Camcorder+with+2.7%22+Color+LCD+Monitor+-+Gray/9456572.p?id=1218108085067&skuId=9456572&st=samsung

Thats the link to the camcorder I have incase that helps. I don’t understand why this is happening. I record videos on my digital camera and the videos come out just fine.
I’m not using my camcorder for any serious broadcasting. I use it for fun to make videos. And I don’t think you are thinking of the same thing. I don’t know how to explain it. Like when i watch the videos it doesn’t ever change due to light or anything else. It’s just this constant thing. If I find a video that has it I will put the link on here.

Answer by Little Dog
Thin horizontal lines from very compressed, interlaced, video – and fast movement – is typical of consumer grade camcorders (especially flash memory, hard disc drive or DVD based camcorder storage media)… and especially when zoomed in on something.

To reduce this:

1) The video quality setting in the menu must be at highest quality. This will be least amount of video compression. This also means recording time available to the memory will be less.

2) Lighting must be good – not low-light, not indoor (unless the lighting is bright), not twilight. Best is outdoors on a sunny day. I know video capture opportunities are not always during the daytime in sunlight. If you are expecting “broadcast quality” in less than ideal conditions, you won’t get it with a $ 200 entry-level consumer camcorder. Sorry to be blunt – I am just saying…

3a) Motion is bad. Handheld camcorders will pick up motion – humans were not built to be steady. Use a tripod, chair, table, any stable surface… but not handheld.

3b) Fast motion will result in those horizontal lines. When zoomed in – even with optical zoom, those lines will be made more obvious. When you edit in iMovie, the export – or Sharing – functions will allow you to select “deinterlace”. That will help a lot – but not totally eliminate this issue.

There are a couple more, but these are the easiest and biggest bang to get towards eliminating the lines…

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Read the full review at www.crunchgear.com
Video Rating: 4 / 5


No comments:

Post a Comment