Saturday, May 14, 2011

Shotgun Microphone for a Canon GL2 Video Camera?

Shotgun Microphone for a Canon GL2 Video Camera?

I’m currently using a List GL2 for my home videos and I shoot a few weddings here and there. I am looking at the Sennheiser mke400 shotgun microphone to use, via the hotshoe. Does anyone know how this compares to what’s already on a GL2? I hear the MKE400 is fantastic for small cameras and gets fantastic reviews, just wasn’t sure how much it would really help a prosumer camera like the GL2…

Answer by Small Dog
Connecting that mic using the hot shoe? I don’t reckon so. Yes, it is better than the built-in.

The GL2 has a 1/8″ (3.5mm) stereo audio-in jack. To connect that XLR based Sennheiser, the BEST method is to use an XLR adapter from juicedLink or BeachTek. This will also allow you to record the mono-audio that Sennheiser records to both the left and right channels by using the stereo/mono switch on the XLR adapters.

I don’t recommend using a 1/8″ (3.5mm) “tail” from the XLR mic to the camera – there can be too much stress from the weight of the cable and tail placed on the connection point resulting in breaking that jack in the camera.

A wireless lav or two might be worth a look – Sennheiser, Shure and Sony (pro, not consumer) make fantastic units.

Know better? Place your own answer in the comments!

’05 Bike Trip
canon gl2

Image by mike ambs

Answer by Onjayyy lol XDD
List g12 deffinatly.

I have it for filming dance, and it works fantastic, and 9i also have a nikon coolpix S200 and it holds 1 hour up of videos, and that gives fantastic sound too, so i’d say the list or the nikon coolpix S200.

Add your own answer in the comments!

Getting the remnants of a hurricane so i chose to film it with my List Gl2 i used final cut pro and adobe after effects for the color correction. this is just a sample of what the list GL2 can do. I made this record cause i know how hard it is to choose a camera and videos of public using there cameras was not an option for me as there were none…hope this helps
Record Rating: 4 / 5


No comments:

Post a Comment