Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me about a 35mm SLR camera?

Can anyone tell me about a 35mm SLR camera?

I thought I had to get a digital SLR for photography class this year….but it turns out I need a 35mm SLR camera [the film type because we have a darkroom at school]. I was wondering if it’s only able to take film and you’d have to take it to wal-mart or something to get it developed outside school?
I also have been trying to google cameras, but all I find are guides that explain how 35mm SLR cameras are the best for beginning photographers and stuff. Where do I find where to buy a camera??
I’m just worried about buying an expensive camera, then only doing two years of photography. I don’t have access to a darkroom outside school!

Answer by Lisa J
search for “stores that sell” or “where to buy 35mm slr camera”

Answer by fhotoace
You can find good used Nikon or Canon SLR’s with standard zoom lenses for under $ 200 on craigslist.

The whole point of shooting film is to learn how to exactly expose and develop the film yourself … because it you do it perfectly, you will have an easy time in the darkroom printing them … if you make mistakes in either exposure or developing, you will soon enough see the reason for perfecting exposure and development when you start trying to print your photos.

Sample of cameras available in my area on craigslist.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pho/903948627.html

or one with two lenses and tripod

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pho/891858566.html

Answer by Edwin
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.keh.com

http://www.adorama.com

http://www.beachcamera.com

These stores all offer good return policies and usually have a 30 day guarantee on their used cameras.

And, of course, there’s always eBay which I don’t recommend for a novice.

As to which 35mm camera to buy, look at the Pentax K1000, Canon FTb, Minolta SRT-202. All of them are 100% manual cameras and great for learning photography. Just buy one with a 50mm f1.7 lens and the Owner’s Manual and you’ll be good to go.

And yes, film cameras only take film. If you shoot black & white (your instructor will tell you what to buy) you’ll be developing it at school. If you shoot color film, you can have it developed and printed at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Costco.

Answer by john h
Ignore all that has been written thus far, go on to ebay and you can buy a film slr and a lense for as little as £ 40.00, try to get a canon a1 camera or something in nikon and that will do you.

When you have finished your photography course, then is the time to buy a digital slr if you want to, again stick to canon or nikon and you won`t go far wrong

What do you think? Answer below!

My Desk
digital slr camera buying guide

Image by cowfish

I am new to photography and I know the D3000 has a nice guide feature. I’m going on a cruise in 2 days, and I need something better than my crappy point and shoot “facebook” camera. I will be buying a camera tomorrow which means I have 1 day to learn how to use it before I will be taking pictures.

How hard is it to learn Digital SLR cameras and would I be better off spending a little more on a D5000 or something else? I’m also thinking worst case scenario, I get the d3000 and take it back to the store if I don’t like it.

Answer by Jim A
First, I own and recommend this camera for its superb photos and solid build.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571144-REG/Canon_2762B003_EOS_Rebel_XS_SLR.html

Second yes there is a learning curve to any dSLR camera because of all the different things you can do with it. But, You can also use it on full auto and get all your cruise photos that way. Once that’s done then take time, read your book and learn your camera.

With time and practice operating this or a d3000 will become easier and faster for you.

Third, buy the camera you want the first time. Just because you don’t like it isn’t a reason for
exchange. If there’s something wrong with the camera yes but not liking it, to me, isn’t a good
reason to give them back a now “used” camera.

Answer by Carl_the_Truth
You can buy the D3000 & put it on automatic. The camera will do everything for you. You’ll just have to learn how to frame and shoot. Be sure to buy a SDHC card for it.

Answer by EDWIN
Forget the Nikon D3000 and buy the Pentax K-x. The K-x has Live View, HD Video, double/multiple exposure capability, an in camera focus motor and in camera image stabilization. The Nikon D3000 has NONE of those features – NONE. The Pentax K-x was chosen by the Technical Image Press Association as its 2010 “Best DSLR Entry Level”.Here is a review:

http://www.shutterbug.net/equipmentreviews/amateur_digital_slrs/0510pentax/index.html

You’ll find the Pentax K-x and Nikon D3000 to be very close in price. At B&H the D3000 is currently $ 499.95 after a $ 50.00 Instant Savings from B&H (ends 7-31-2010) and the K-x is $ 529.00. $ 30.95 is a small amount for all the features of the K-x.

Answer by Chris
Hi Jonathan

I own both digital SLR cameras and point and shoot cameras that take great pictures in their own right.

I find that when I’m on a trip with others, I like to have a camera with me that is not bulky, light and easily stored in a pocket or carry bag.

When I’m by myself, I prefer my SLR cameras that I can take my time, look for photo opportunities and really enjoy my love for photography.

So when I’m on vacation, I will usually bring both my compact point and shoots (that can take very nice photos if you know how to control them) and my SLR equipment for when I can go off on my own to discover those special shots.

Jonathan…from the sounds of it, this will be your first SLR? It also sounds like you are not to sure if this is the camera for you.

I always regret not purchasing the model that I really wanted (if I can afford it). I would purchase the better model if your bank account can handle it.

Have fun on your cruise, and whichever decision you make, I’m sure you will have a great time.

Answer by Zem Lo
Hi Jonathan Marquart!
Yes, Nikon D3000 is a good camera. It is easy to use, good quality and good picture quality.
its a really nice camera for beginners. Nikon D3000 Digital SLR Camera
10.2megapixel CCD sensor,11-point autofocus system, Fast response,Guide mode,3-inch TFT, 3 fps continuous shooting allows you to capture fast-moving action at 3 frames per second
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JCSV5I?ie=UTF8&tag=digitsy-post-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002JCSV5I

What do you think? Answer below!

If you’re in the market for your first digital SLR, this video will look at three models you should consider.
Video Rating: 4 / 5


No comments:

Post a Comment